I made this at the weekend as we were going up to Mr Pinklittlebeans parents for birthday lunch...
I found the recipe in a magazine a while ago, but managed to give the magazine away without cutting out the recipe! I searched high and low for the recipe and managed to salvage it from a fellow blogger who kindly emailed it to me!
It was definitely worth the hassle of getting hold of it! :)
The tart is really lemony (if I can use that as a descriptive term!) and the cola in the pastry almost caramelises. The popping candy really does work with the tart, but you can omit it if you don't fancy it (or can't find any!)
It is fairly time consuming but as I said, it was worth it :) And it's a dessert to get people talking!
225g Plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 Egg yolk
3 Tbsp cola
5 Unwaxed lemons, juiced with zest of 3
6 Eggs, two whole, 4 yolks
200g Caster sugar
200ml Double cream
Icing sugar for decorating
2 Packets cola flavoured popping candy
* In a food processor mix the flour, salt and butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
* Add the egg yolk and cola to form a ball of dough.
* Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for 30min.
* Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk in sugar until combines.
* Place a 23cm flan tin on a baking sheet.
* On a surface dusted with icing sugar, roll out the pastry.
* Lift onto rolling pin then drape over the flan tin, leaving the excess hanging.
* Press the pastry into the sides and put into fridge for 20 minutes.
* Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
* Remove tin and bake for 20-25min until golden (NOTE: Use Baking Beans!)
* Lower to 140 degrees and trim off extra pastry.
* Pour filling into tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until almost set.
* Leave to cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.
* Blow torch the top until golden and leave to set for 10minutes.
* Sprinkle with popping candy & serve!