Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Missies Pudding Club - September 2011

Hello! :)

Big apologies for going MIA for a couple of weeks. I had a few things I needed to concentrate on in "real life" as it were so took a little break!

But, I am back! And have plenty to be writing about! :)

So, last month I was lucky enough to get my mitts on a ticket for Missies Pudding Club, hosted by the lovely Cindy!

Boy, am I glad I did!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, it's basically a sweet-tooths (like me) idea of a dream! You get to try a selection of puddings (and no-one tells you off if you didn't eat all of your dinner!) and have a chat about them!

The fabulous looking ticket, designed by Cindy!

The event was held upstairs at the Rutland pub (in Sheffield). I got myself half a pint and shimmied upstairs to be greeted by Cindy, who is absolutely lovely.

I'd spoken to her quite a bit on twitter but it was the first time I'd met her in "real life" which was really cool! It's funny how you can speak to people on regular basis, having never met them!

I sat down on a table with a couple of other ladies, who are also members of the same WI as me (but I'd not spoken to them before) so that was also really nice!

We were given a taster of jam on scones, which had been made with plums from Cindys garden and it was rather tasty!
Right, so onto the nitty gritty! The puddings!

The first pudding we were served was a Bread & Butter Pudding with homemade marmalade and Jack Daniels (made by Kayleigh Degg).

Up until then, I had never actually tried bread and butter pudding as there was something about it that just... Didn't appeal to me? But! How I regret it, I have missed out on 26 years of deliciousness!

The pud was amazing! It had the right amount of tart/tang from the marmalade to go with the sweetness of the dessert. I couldn't actually taste the JD, which is possibly a good thing as I'm not a big fan. Out of the 5 puddings, this was my overall favourite and I am now a convert!
The second pudding we tried was an amazing combination of flavours! (And an amazing sized portion too! Don't worry, I didn't scoff it all - I had a doggy bag!)

This was a Beetroot & Chocolate Cheesecake on a PJ Taste coconut biscuit base made by PJ Taste (who have a little coffee shop in Sheffield if you are ever in the area!).

The combination sounds possibly peculiar but it worked and it was yummy! I liked that it was a baked cheesecake too. The coconut base had a ginger flavour to it too. You did get the hint of beetroot, but it was pleasant (not, urgh, beetroot cheesecake!).

I shared the piece I took home with my brother and one of his friends and they both enjoyed it and wished they'd come so they could have eaten a whole piece!
The third of the puds was a classic!

A Sticky Toffee Pudding made by Rutland Arms.

I really enjoyed this too (can you see a theme here?) I liked the fact that the sauce was separate so I could mop it up with the sponge cake myself!

It was at this point I went and ordered a cup of tea as I think it went better with the following puddings!
The forth offering was something a little unusual to what some people may be used to pudding wise!

It was a Red Bean Sweet Dessert with Peanut Mochi made by Missie Cindz herself!

It had been hinted that we might be getting a little surprise like this and I was over the moon when it came out!

I went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and tried lots of different desserts/drinks/sweets including a few sweet red bean ones. I really like them, I think it's perhaps the western perception or maybe expectation that beans are going to be savoury, but it really is quite yummy!

This was very tasty, the beans were just the right sweetness and the mochi was a lovely treat with it (I LOVE mochi!!), the peanut inside was delish!
Finally, the last pudding was very deceiptful! It looked like we were getting a teeny portion, but we did have a disclaimer to say it would be enough! (and to be honest, I don't think I had a lot of room left!!)

This was a Rum Truffle Torte made by Annie Parmee.

It was very tasty and very, very rich! I managed about a forkful and I was done! I loved the crushed amaretti biscuit crushed on the top. The torte would work brilliantly just made into truffles too!

My brother ate the rest of it and said he really enjoyed it.

I had such a fab time during the event, it was great to meet some lovely new people and finally meet Cindy, as well as eat delicious food! :)

Have you ever been to a pudding club?

If you are interested in finding out more about Missies Pudding Club, you can follow her on twitter @MissieCindz or use the hashtag #MissiesPuddingClub or you can join her mailing list by emailing puddingclub@missiecindz.com

You can also see her blog post about the day here :)

:)

3 comments:

  1. this looks amazing, i have emailed the mailing list so hopefully i can come to the next one, it looks right up my street :D

    www.missmathful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, i really want some cake now! x

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ receiving comments & I will always try and return them! If you like my blog, why not follow me? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...