Saturday, 27 October 2012

A Weekend in Amsterdam

*PICTURE HEAVY*
 
A couple of weekends ago, my Mum and I went away to Amsterdam for a long weekend. I thought I'd show you a few things we saw and did...
We got the ferry from Hull...
Pretty sky as we were leaving...
These were our err... beds for the night!
Buffet dinner on the ferry. I have the eating habits of a 5 year old.
The magnificent train station building!
We stayed in the Novotel. I loved that there was a little message on the TV when we arrived (easily pleased!) the staff at the Novotel were so helpful and friendly. The room was great too.
Panoramic view of the canal!
 
One of the first things we did when we arrived was do a boat trip. It's a great way to see the city and spot things that you might not see whilst walking. It's also a good way to get your bearings too!
 
We had bought a ticket for travel and a Amsterdam key card from the tourist info place which saved us money/got you in free to certain attractions including certain boat trips. I'd definitely recommend getting one if you were planning on cramming a lot in.
 
One of the first places we visited was the Anne Frank House. If you get the opportunity to go, do it. It's an extremely harrowing experience. It really is hard to imagine being in that situation.
This was my favourite piece of street art I saw.
Dam Square.
Andy Warhol's The Last Supper in Pink. I loved where it was being displayed (De Nieuwe Kerk). It was a pretty incredible building!
The name of this eatery made me giggle...

I tried quite a few different drinks. This was one of my favourites!

I LOVED this shop window display!

I found my dream car...!
I adore Rob Ryan's work. I thought this was so cute :)
Pretty Dutch napkin. I had a goats cheese and spinach pancake. It was delicious.
I picked these up in H&M. I thought they were an absolute bargain at 3 euros. Garish, perhaps, but I like em!
Some of the other drinks I tried!

I packed the essentials...
I really liked this sign. We went into the Van Gogh exhibition too.
Plenty of Dutch apple cake/coffee breaks were had along the way...
We visited the Amsterdam Tattoo Museum. I found it really interesting. I didn't get a tattoo there but they do have a tattooist on site should you wish to get an extra special souvenir! :)
One of the places we'd read about is Febo. It's basically a fast food vending machine. You put your Euros in and in return receive a little piece of fast food "goodness".
I went for one of these - a "Kaassouffles". It's basically deep fried cheese and it tastes bloody awesome. I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate it! So bad it's good! It reminded me of a Findus Crispy Pancake type thing. I wish we'd had one at the beginning of the holiday as I probably would have just lived off them!
I picked this up in one of the supermarkets before we left. I *think* it's some kind of spread. I liked it because it was blue! I've not tried it yet...
 
 I had a really nice weekend. We fit quite a lot in over the couple of days. The city is a lot busier than I imagined but I enjoyed it! The people all seemed really friendly and helpful too :)
 
 
Have you ever been to Amsterdam or would you like to visit?
 
What did you think?
 

 


1 comment:

  1. looks like you had a nice time! I've been a couple of times and love it, loads of places to explore! We did the VG museum and also anne franks house, very upsetting indeed :(

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ receiving comments & I will always try and return them! If you like my blog, why not follow me? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...