Friday, 10 May 2013

teapigs Matcha May

This month, teapigs are celebrating Matcha May.
 
Matcha is essentially a very concentrated form of green tea.
 
Here's the low-down from the teapigs website:
 
When you drink regular green tea, you throw away the leaves afterwards which a bit like boiling spinach, throwing away the spinach and just drinking the water – you’ll get some of the nutrients, but you’re throwing away the best bit.

Matcha is drunk as a fine powder diffused in liquid so you actually ingest the whole leaf, consuming every last bit of goodness.

Antioxidant Blast
 
It contains 137 times the antioxidants of regular green tea! Matcha scores very highly on the ORAC table, towering above many of our well-known super-foods such as spinach, blueberries and goji berries!
 
Energising
 
Matcha contains two special amino acids called theophylline and L-theanine. Like all green tea, matcha naturally contains caffeine but, unlike coffee, it works together with these two important amino acids to give you a sustained energy boost which can last 6 hours.
 
Weight Loss
 
Drinking green tea can increase thermogenesis, which in turn can increase your daily energy expenditure (i.e. burning more calories) - without evening getting off the sofa! Amazing! Also, a study in 2008 found that green tea ingestion 'can increase fat oxidation during moderate intensity exercise.
 
Healthy Skin
 
Green tea naturally contains polyphenols, this may not mean much to you and us, but the clever people at the University of Alabama have found that consumption of green tea polyphenols can inhibit UV radiation-induced skin damage. 
I am currently trying to knock my 975 cups of coffee a day habit on the head ☠

teapigs kindly sent me a sample of matcha to try and I thought it sounded like the perfect replacement for my daily coffee!
I don't drink a lot of milk so thought I'd try mixing the matcha powder with some orange and mango juice.
I added half a teaspoon of teapigs matcha and two teaspoons of wheatgrass powder to the juice.
 
I put it all in a smoothie maker that I use as I found it blends it really thoroughly.
The colour may not look that appetising but it tasted delicious!
 
 I like green tea anyway but found that the matcha definitely had a more delicate, less bitter taste. It worked really well with the juice too.
 
I've had a couple of days worth of no coffee in the morning and I haven't actually missed it yet. I have felt more awake/alert (which is pretty much unheard of unless I have had 382 coffees before 10am!). Energy wise I felt good and wasn't reaching for my usual mid-morning snack. 
 
I have read about people finding that it has benefited their skin. My acne has flared up again so I would be interested in seeing if it helps in any way. I think I will be treating myself to a jar next pay day!
 
Have you tried Matcha before?
 
Do you have any recipes?
 
 
teapigs are offering you 15%* off at www.teapigs.co.uk
 
For more information you can like teapigs on facebook or follow teapigs on twitter! ♥
 
 
*Enter code at checkout. Discount does not apply to gifts and cheeky deals as these are already discounted.
 


2 comments:

  1. You need to do a post on how to eat healthy! I'm trying to trim up but I have no idea what to do. Reading contradicting articles online really doesn't help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH I think I need some advice on eating healthy myself! I'm trying to make little changes but my general diet seems to involve cheese based meals!

      I think once the weather improves it will make it a little easier to eat lighter meals rather than cheese, bread and potatoes! :)

      Delete

I ♥ receiving comments & I will always try and return them! If you like my blog, why not follow me? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...