Tuesday, 31 December 2013

My Top 15 Songs of 2013

I started trying to write my top 5 songs of 2013... Then my top 10... 

But there have been so many good singles/albums released this year the best I could do was condense it down to a top 15!


So without further adieu, in no particular order... 

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

I don't think I really need to say anything about this song apart from it is brilliant.



Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

Choosing a favourite song overall from 2013 is a little bit like choosing a favourite child. But. If I had to choose and you won't let the other kids know, this is my favourite. 



Bloc Party - Ratchet

I love this so much. It's like Bloc Party circa Silent Alarm. It's definitely one of my favourite songs they've released in a while and makes me want to dance around like an idiot.



Daft Punk - Get Lucky

Yes, it possibly got played to death. Yes, you heard it absolutely bloody everywhere. Yes, it is STILL fantastic. Seriously. I don't think I'll get sick of it.



Eels - Peach Blossom

I was over the moon to hear that Eels were releasing a new album and got excited every time this came on the radio. Such a good riff...



Fall Out Boy - The Phoenix

I SURVIVED THE FOB HIATUS! I found it tough to decide between this and "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" as I love them both. The Phoenix was a grower but I think it's my favourite. Anyway, I've mentioned them both now so they can have a joint place if they want. Welcome back Fall Out Boy. Please don't leave us again.



Fat Freddy's Drop - Blackbird

I was super excited to hear that FFD were releasing a new album and equally as excited when I managed to score tickets for the album release show in London. I can listen to this song on repeat for hours and not get bored. Joe Dukie's voice is the one.



John Grant - GMF

I love the bitter sweetness of this song. It was a real grower for me. The more I listen, the more I like it.



Major Lazer (ft. Peaches & Timberlee) - Scare Me
I can't get enough of this song. I love Peaches. Her lyrics are genius. "Bangin on my ovaries and bustin my piñata" Hell yes. It reminds me of being in Berlin.
Masters In France - Flexin
I heard this on 6 Music and instantly loved it. If you haven't listened to it, I insist you do.

The National - Demons
His voice is like whiskey. Amazing.


Pulp - After You (Soulwax Remix)


I love the original version of this song but the Soulwax remix which was released on 12" for Record Store Day is just perfect.



Queens of the Stone Age - Smooth Sailing

This is definitely my favourite song off the ...Like Clockwork album. So sleazy. I love it!


Swim Deep - King City

This is probably my favourite song of the Summer. I ended up seeing Swim Deep about 5 times this year and they're brilliant. Especially their cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"!


Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sacrilege 

I just love how this song builds up gradually over 4 minutes turning into something totally different to how it begins. I was lucky enough to catch them at Leeds Academy and they were incredible. 


So, that's my top 15. I'm hoping that 2014 is just as good for new music releases and can't wait to find out!

What have your favourite songs of 2013 been?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ receiving comments & I will always try and return them! If you like my blog, why not follow me? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...